Motorcycle Rental - Motorbike Hire FAQ
What do rentals include?
A motorcycle! Choose from a new or late model Harley-Davidson, Honda Gold Wing or a Honda or BMW Sport Touring bike. All of our motorcycles are passenger friendly. Every rental includes:
- 24-hour rental period
- Unlimited mileage
- Helmets (although we suggest you bring your own for fitment and comfort)
- Passenger backrest
- Security system and/or additional cable lock
- 24-hour emergency contact phone number
- Secure storage for your luggage or baggage.
- Local Free shuttle service
Is it mandatory to wear a helmet?
Yes, for your own safety, and per California law, and our insurance company, you and your passenger are required to wear a certified helmet at all times when you ride our motorcycle. We can provide you with a loaner helmet, free of charge
Can I bring and use my own helmet?
Yes, providing it is a certified (DOT, Snell) approved helmet. We always recommend you bring your own helmet for fitment and comfort. If you rent a motorcycle with intercom or CB and want to use these features, you will need to bring your own helmet equipped with speakers, microphone, and connection cords.
Do you rent motorcycle clothing?
Yes, we have motorcycle jackets and rain gear available for rent. Sweatshirts, t-shirts, bandanas, sunglasses and light gloves are available to purchase.
Are the motorcycles routinely inspected?
Yes, every motorcycle has a safety and mechanical inspection prior to every rental. We have trained technicians on premises. All motorcycles are maintained to manufacturers' specifications and our technicians are very well acquainted with all rental bikes. Your safety is our #1 priority.
Can I pickup or the return the motorcycle after hours?
Yes, we can make special arrangements, however, there is a nominal charge.
What are the requirements for making a rental?
(See our two page detailed article on Motorcycle Rental process in our new info section)
- You MUST have a valid motorcycle license/endorsement form the state or country where your driver’s license is issued.
- You MUST be over 25 years of age. Special arrangements may be made if renter is over 21.
The motorcycles we rent at California Motorcycle Adventures are large, heavyweight, very powerful and not appropriate for beginner or inexperienced riders. We recommend at least two years experience on motorcycles of 1000cc or greater.
If you have any questions about this requirement, please call us.
- You must have a major credit card. Visa, MasterCard, or American Express
- You MUST provide insurance that covers Liability, Collision, and Theft, with a maximum $1000 deductible per occurrence. Insurance is provided through MBA Insurance. If you would like to provide your own insurance, please call for requirements.
- A refundable $2000 security deposit is required at time of rental. Deposit is refunded at rental return provided motorcycle is in the same condition as when it was rented.
What happens if you do not have the motorcycle I reserved?
- Reservations are highly recommended to insure availability and the preferred motorcycle of your choice. We guarantee the type of motorcycle and make every attempt to provide your preferred choice, but do not guarantee a specific motorcycle availability.
- If the motorcycle type you chose becomes unavailable, we will offer you a similar type or upgraded motorcycle at no additional charge.
- If the substituted type is unacceptable, you may cancel with a full refund. This is the limit of our responsibility to you.
What are your Cancellation policies?
Rental Deposit and Cancellation policy:
- A reservation deposit is required to hold a motorcycle. Amount of deposit vary from $50-$400 depending on length of rental.
- Cancellations with over 30 days notice will receive full deposit refund, 14-30 days notice will receive 50% deposit refund. No deposit refund with less than 14 days notice.
- Any retained deposit amount with cancellation notice, can be applied to a future rental within 1 year.
- “No-Shows”, or less than 48 hours notice will be charged the full amount for the rental period. Motorcycle will be held for 1 hour past scheduled pick up time.
- $25 cancellation fee will be applied to all cancellations.
What do I do if I have a mechanical breakdown?
We do our very best to insure that breakdowns do not happen. If you have a breakdown or you feel the motorcycle is unsafe to operate, make a phone call to our 48 hour emergency phone, and we will take care of the problem.
Does my personal insurance cover me on a rental motorcycle?
(See our detailed article on Motorcycle Rental Insurance in our new info section)
You are required to provide us insurance. There are very few cases where you will have the type of insurance that will cover you on a motorcycle rental, however if you would like to provide your own insurance, please read the entry below.
Can I use my Own Insurance?
Yes, you can, but most people find it is either too much trouble or too expensive to do. Our basic insurance is only $15/day and your insurance company may charge you to provide the required certificates.
If you wish to provide your own insurance (instead of purchasing it through our carrier) you need to provide two (2) Certificates of Insurance, naming Bay Area Performance Cycles, Inc. as the “also-insured” for the period of the rental.
Coverage requirements are:
- Full Coverage for the motorcycle, including:
- Liability Coverage – we recommend minimum $300,000
- Collision for the full replacement value of the motorcycle
- Comprehensive for the full replacement value of the motorcycle
- An Umbrella liability policy for $1 million
These certificates must be provided to us at least 3 business days prior to your rental date.
If you provide your own insurance, you are fully responsible for any losses or damage.
Do I need additional insurance?
- We always include in our rental estimate the required insurance that you can purchase through our provider. (We do this for you.) This includes state required liability and physical damage insurance with a deductible.
- Supplemental Liability insurance is also available though our provider. This increases your coverage to $300,000 per occurrence.
- Roadside Assistance and Tire Puncture – We understand things are going to happen! You will leave the lights on and come back to the bike and find you have a dead battery, or you may run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. With the optional Roadside Assistance, we will take care of these problems for you. It includes emergency fuel delivered to you, jump start, and flat tire replacement or repair (tubeless tires are ALWAYS replaced) due to puncture, includes towing. Also, if there is a mechanical breakdown, or the motorcycle is unsafe operate to due to no fault that you caused, we will also reimburse you up to $75/day to rent another vehicle until your rented motorcycle is either fixed or replaced.
- Please call us, and we can give you all the details about the insurance, coverage, and limitations.
- All coverage and waivers are subject to the express terms of the rental contract and do not include coverage for personal property, or damage as the result of negligence on the part of the renter for illegal use of motorcycle or use under the influence of drugs or alcohol. RENTAL RULES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH AT ALL TIMES.
Do you have a retail showroom offering gear, t-shirts, parts and accessories?
Yes, we have a retail showroom and can provide you with quality gear, parts, accessories and gift items.
Do you have special Rental Discount Programs?
Yes, for all Public Service Persons (EMS, Fire, Police, Active Military)
[Not valid with any other offer or special events.]